Monday, January 23, 2017

Road Trip!!!

This past weekend the wife and I went on little road trip to catch a Breaking Benjamin concert. This was kind of a surprise thing from her. I say kind of because she didn't want me to be surprised when I saw the bill and had to pay for it without telling me. LOL

Our trip there was pretty uneventful minus the one time I had to slam on the breaks to keep from rear ending someone in a small traffic jam. When we got to our destination we ran into more hiccups in a ten minute commute than over two hours it took to get there. First we were delayed by lots of foot traffic from the women's march that was going on, then we ran into a blocked road from construction, and finally we, I, went to the wrong hotel; who puts two Marriot hotels within a five block radius anyway, sheesh. 

Once we got to the correct hotel it was game on. We settled in and decided we needed to eat. Luckily for us there was a Hooters literally right across the street. That was an interesting experience, to say the least. Waitress introduced herself by a name that was different from her nameplate; both of our orders were messed up in one way or another, probably not her fault but we were pretty understanding customers and it seemed to confuse her why we weren't mad; then when she brought the check out she asked if we wanted to split the appetizer. We gave her a look of confusion and she said she wasn't sure if we were together or not. LOL We found that part funny and posted it to Facebook and some of our friends didn't find it as amusing as us; hey different folks, different strokes.

After we got done we darted back across the street in the pouring rain to get back to the hotel and get ready for the concert and a little meet up with some of her childhood friends that live in the area. I took and umbrella but I left it in the car and the car was gone because of valet parking, stupid fancy hotels in the middle of downtown areas. LOL

We met her friends at a place called VBGB Beer Hall and Garden. This was a newer area to the city, as explained to us, that was literally right next to the music venue for the concert and because we had gotten there so early, parking was not an issue at all. If you are ever in the area, I recommend it. Lot's of great craft beers and the food smelled pretty good, too.

As for the concert itself, it was awesome. We had a VIP package that included early entry, stage tour, meet and greet with the band that included a group photo, a swag bag, and a signed set list from the show. The meet and greet was supposed to be before the show but due to technical difficulties it was done after the show. All in all it was a great show and they played a great mix of old and new and the place was packed! I've always liked their music but I don't know I would have called myself a fan but I am definitely one now.

While we were there we met some cool people and met up with them after the show to get some food. That probably wasn't the smartest thing to do but it was a good time nonetheless. We hit up a place called Hot Taco that wasn't too far but parking was a PITA. Food was OK to me but their queso blanco and salsa was totally on point and made the trip worth the while.

This was a great weekend that me and the wife needed to have together. I couldn't tell you the last time we did something like this and hopefully we make it a little more frequent, just not as costly. LOL

One last thing, a huge shout out to our friends for keeping the girls this weekend, you guys are the real MVPs. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment