Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Superbowl LI 2017

Is it me, or is this year's Superbowl seem to be getting a lot less attention than ones in recent history? I know it is getting coverage and will be watched by like a bagazillion people but the lead up just doesn't seem to have the hype, IMO.

I have a couple of ideas as to why, or maybe why I can explain my rationale. 

First, I think a lot of people are tired of seeing Bill and Tom in the championship game. Their tenure has been one riddled with conflict from Spygate in 2007 to Deflategate just a couple of years ago. While I don't really hold anything against them for the Deflategate incident, the Spygate really tarnished some of their accomplishments and really casts a shadow of doubt on a lot of their success. Deflategate, honestly they just smashed the Colts and everything has just been exacerbated by league officials in their mishandling of every other case of mischief in the league, especially by Goodell.

That leads me to my second thought, there isn't any drama for this game, at least nothing as notable as previous seasons. This doesn't give anyone much to talk about except for the past discrepancies of teams and former players. You look at Atlanta this year and they have, in my opinion, disposed of teams throughout the season like a well oiled machine. A machine that doesn't squeak just doesn't get the attention like one that does.

Third, I call it the Trump Effect. EVERYTHING that has happened in the past two weeks has been overshadowed by the inauguration, the executive orders, and the media's coverage of Trump and DC. I can't think of the last newsworthy, or not in some cases, story that hasn't included Trump. While I believe sport should be immune to the politics of the nation sometimes that line can get blurred and it was blurred with Colin Kaepernick and his protests and when Robert Craft made trips to see his friend the Donald at Trump Tower after he won the election. I'm not criticizing Colin or Mr. Craft for their actions I just want to point out they happened, among other things.

Lastly, I think the game is just being overshadowed because of the David and Goliath match up that seems to be on paper. Now I'm not talking about this season's record books; I'm generally speaking here. When was the last time Atlanta was relevant? The Dirty Bird years, right? They have a cool, calm and collected QB as well as a relatively quite head coach. They just don't make a stink, like my second point. They go about their business like hard working blue collared men. I admire that and in today's age it is refreshing to me. I'm not much for pro athletes that continually put themselves out for attention like 75% seem to do. That's why I like hockey players; they show up, play the game, and go about their business with not much to do in the media. Compare that to the Pats and how they seemingly are in the news every week for one thing or another AND their past success. I'm not blaming them because I think it comes with the territory but they seem to be bigger than the NFL, figuratively speaking of course.

So what do you think? Do you think this year's game isn't quite as hyped up? If so, do you agree or disagree with my thoughts? What's your perspective? 

With that said, what is your prediction for the game?

No comments:

Post a Comment